Its that time of year again to prepare your vehicle for the rainy season – California’s version of winter.
To make your car safe to drive, and to help to reduce the possibility of you getting stranded in colder and wetter conditions, automotive experts recommend the following items be looked and and or serviced:
- Inspect your cars electrical system – especially your battery. Cold weather starting reduces cranking power and so is more demanding on your battery and charging systems.
- Install new windshield wipers
- Have your mechanic make sure that the washer fluid is also full to wash off dirt and mud. Some winter drivers like to “seal” their glass for better winter visiblity with Rain-X or a similar glass wax
- Don’t forget your rear window defogger and wipers if any to maintain visibility
- Inspect your tires tread depth for adequate rain service – less than a 2/32 of an inch of tread may invite hydroplaning during heavy rain and be sure to maintain proper tire pressure
- Pack your emergency kit – and perhaps add a blanket for lower temperatures
- Make sure all of your vehicle’s periodic maintenance has been done, including an inspection for safety and other types of serviceable items
- Make sure you have the right oil viscosity. Some owners like to use thicker oil in summer and thinner in winter
- Keep your gas tank at least half full
- Winter can be tough on your car’s finish. Try to wash it between rain storms and keep it waxed.
At Escondido Auto Tech, we have a full line of manufacturer certified diagnostic tools. The tools, scanners and equipment are the same or better than those used in dealership service departments. Before the wet weather hits schedule an appointment at Escondido Auto Tech by calling us at (760)745-4454.