Auto transmissions require periodic service and sometimes minor or major repair. Your car’s transmission service should be part of your standard maintenance routine, just like changing your engine oil on a regular basis.
New transmission fluid restores the friction between the trans clutches, thereby reducing slip and heat production. The act of changing to fresh fluid is that as the old fluid drains out, it washes away tiny particles of accumulated clutch material and any metal particles. Those particles have the effect of reducing or clogging passages and may even wedge between moving parts, causing undesireable wear.
A complete transmission service may include:
• removing and examining the sump or pan (where vehicle permits)
• replacing or cleaning the screen and filter
• cleaning out the trans pan
• reinstalling using a new pan gasket and sealer – this may cure past leaks as well
• removing the old trans fluid and replacing it with new, high quality ATF as recommended by manufacturer specs
The net result of changing the fluid is to provide better lubrication, improved the holding ability of the friction components, and reduced heat. So your transmission works better for years longer, which means you’re less likely to face a major transmission repair.
If you think that your vehicle is due for any routine maintenance items, schedule a check up at Escondido Auto Tech at (760) 745-4454 or online at eatauto.com today.